Want to work with one of the oldest and most dynamic antiwar and antimilitarist organizations? Want to build your existing skills and learn to connect organizing with grassroots fundraising? Want to hone your personal fundraising skills?
Apply to War Resisters League's Freeman Internship! WRL works on an array of antimilitarist projects including counter-recruitment work for queer/trans youth and girls, challenging domestic militarization and police power through our No SWAT Zone campaign, and international antimilitarist solidarity work, all in a collective, supportive structure!
War Resisters League is looking for an energetic, passionate intern to join our team, grow their grassroots organizing and fundraising skills, and be part of a national organization committed to revolutionary nonviolence.
- Assist with overall planning for WRL’s winter and spring fundraising drives including goal setting and work-planning, with particular focus on phonebanking as a tactic
- Prepare campaign messaging and fundraising response scripts based on WRL’s current program work
- Pull, clean, and segment lists from WRL’s database to create phonebanking lists
- Recruit and organize volunteers to participate in phonebanking activities
- Participate in and lead fundraising trainings for participating volunteers
- Track all phonebank fundraising using WRL’s CiviCRM database
- Maintain acknowledgement and thank you correspondence with participating donors
- Work with WRL staff to evaluate phonebanking-- highlighting successes, challenges, and recommendations for the future
- Work closely with Development & Membership Coordinator and National Office Staff to support daily operations at WRL
- Serve on WRL Fundraising committee for duration of internship
- Applicants should have some experience or education in campaign-related grassroots fundraising strategy
- Some experience working with CRM databases or willingness to learn
- Knowledge of current social movement landscape is a plus though special knowledge of social movement history not required
- Excellent writing and interpersonal communication skills are a plus
- Not required to be students
- Able to work 20 hours a week in War Resisters League National Office in New York City for 13 weeks
Compensation & Support:
This is a paid internship. WRL will work with those who can receive college credit. WRL office is located on the sixth floor of a building with an elevator. The War Resisters League is actively committed to seeking full representation and participation of all people, including people of color, women, people who identify as Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Two-Spirit, Trans, Gender Non-Conforming, and Queer, and people with disabilities (though the office is several blocks away from all closest subways), as well as people representing various ages, classes, and cultural backgrounds. Such diversity is sought throughout WRL's staff and decision-making bodies.
Internship is generously stipended and includes metro-card to cover all travel to and from WRL's offices, located at 168 Canal Street, New York, NY.
How to Apply:
Please submit a cover letter, resume, and any applicable work samples. Please send files as attachments - not in the body of email. Applications without cover letter will not be considered.
Kindly send applications to Emma Burke, Development & Membership Coordinator at emma [at] warresisters.org. Application deadline is January 27, 2020
The War Resisters League affirms that all war is a crime against humanity. We therefore are determined not to support any kind of war, international or civil, and to strive nonviolently for the removal of the causes of war, including racism, sexism, and all forms of human exploitation