The War Resisters League (WRL) seeks to hire a part-time bookkeeper, with a start date of March 15, 2024.
Position Summary: The Bookkeeper supports the financial well-being of the organization, by tracking and ensuring transactions at the micro level and providing reporting at the macro level.
The Bookkeeper works closely with the volunteer Finance Committee, especially the Treasurer, as well as colleagues on the Office Team, comprising consultants who are responsible for operations, WRL’s store, and support of specific bookkeeping and fundraising tasks.
About WRL: The War Resisters League (WRL), founded 100 years ago, affirms that all war is a crime against humanity. We are determined not to support any kind of war, international or civil, and to strive nonviolently for the removal of all causes of war, including racism, sexism, and all forms of exploitation.
As a leading radical voice in the antiwar movement, WRL's revolutionary nonviolent strategy builds cross-movement analysis and international solidarity, supports conscientious objectors and GI resisters, challenges military recruitment, advocates for war tax resistance, against the use of teargas in prisons or against nonviolent demonstrators, and trains for and organizes nonviolent direct action.
The primary work of the bookkeeper is to maintain the financial records and picture of the organization and convey the latter to others in the organization. Specific responsibilities are to:
- Record all incoming and outgoing transactions in Quickbooks on a weekly basis, and reconcile all accounts on a monthly basis.
- Handle Accounts Payable on a weekly basis.
- Handle in-house payroll for any employees*, filing and paying state and federal payroll taxes, and ensuring required disability and workers comp coverage.
- Provide assistance and oversight to New York-based colleague responsible for receiving, banking, and allocating sources for incoming contributions.
- Prepare finance reports on a quarterly basis or as requested by the Administrative Coordinating Committee (ACC) and to the AJ Muste Memorial Institute, WRL’s fiscal sponsor. Present semi-annual reports to the National Committee (NC). Produce annual pie chart - style report for the Fundraising Committee.
- Prepare the books annually and works with outside auditing firm to ensure the timely filing of state and federal returns (for both WRL and its endowment-holding sister organization, WRL, Inc.).
- Play a lead role on the Finance Committee, which ensures the organization’s financial well-being, and also advises the WRL Inc board in managing the investments in its endowment.
- Play a lead role in guiding the development of WRL’s overall annual budget.
- Lead the development of the administrative portion of WRL’s annual budget, calculates funds available from the endowment, and works with the fundraising committee to develop other income projections.
- Provide other administrative support as needed, in consultation with the Office Team.
* Currently WRL is in a transitional phase and has no employees. We expect that to change in the coming year. The bookkeeper will be responsible for the financial on-boarding of any new employees, and work with the operations consultant to ensure provision of employee benefits.
Other potential responsibilities:
- Convene the Finance Committee, setting the agenda and recording minutes.
- Maintain the US-based accounts of War Resisters International (WRI), including providing monthly reports to London, quarterly reports to the AJ Muste Memorial Institute, (WRI’s fiscal fiscal sponsor), and other assistance as needed, e.g. occasional procurement of flights, wiring of funds, etc.
- Oversee portfolio of WRL’s sister organization, working to secure new investments as needed in line with particular socially responsible principles.
- Communicate with executors of estates providing bequests, completing any
- administrative tasks to release funds.
- Supplemental assistance with data entry or acknowledgment letters, if needed.
- Supplemental assistance with banking, location permitting and if needed.
- Five years bookkeeping experience in the nonprofit sector.
- Exceptional attention to detail.
- Strong self-management ability in a remote environment.
- Expertise with Quickbooks (WRL uses desktop version 2024), and Excel.
- Adept at using CiviCRM or similar relationship management software.
- Familiarity with Cloud-based filing systems, Mayfirst file sharing a plus.
- Familiarity with IRS form 990, compliance with federal and state.
- Commitment to WRL’s mission of revolutionary nonviolence as a resistance and social change strategy.
- Comfortable working within a small, non-hierarchical team and experience and/or ability to participate in consensus based decision-making model.
- Ability to convey complex financial data to a lay audience.
Compensation and Benefits:
This is a contract position, averaging 5- 10 hours per week, with some prospects for up to 12-15 hours per week. It is not necessary to be based in the NY area, but ability to attend occasional in-person meetings in NY is desired.
Compensation is $32.25 per hour, with a COLA increase scheduled for April 1, 2024.
WRL is actively committed to seeking the full representation and participation of all people, including people directly impacted by militarism, people of color, people who identify as Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Two-Spirit, Trans, Queer, and Gender Non-Conforming (LGBTSTQGNC), and people with disabilities, as well as people representing various ages, classes, and cultural backgrounds. Such diversity is sought throughout WRL’s staff, consultants and decision-making bodies.
Please send a cover letter, resume, and three references to hiringcommittee [at] warresisters.org with “Bookkeeper Position" in the subject line. Materials should be PDFs or Word files, with filenames formatted as 'Name_resume', 'Name_coverletter' by email.
Applications due by February 15, 2024 . We will not accept phone calls regarding the position.