The Importance of WRL—Now and in the Future
The future of a nonviolent world is safe in WRL’s hands. As supporters of revolutionary nonviolence, we know that to spread the message of justice and peace, it is essential to have a passionate, long-term commitment to fundamental social change. Since our founders first organized to end World War I, our activities have increased, our outreach has expanded, and every day we promote the soundness and practicality of nonviolence.
WRL staff members work tirelessly across the country to educate and organize for disarmament and social justice: we mount campaigns on antimilitarist issues; plan conferences, events, and demonstrations; provide nonviolence training; and disseminate materials that offer information and analysis, and support community building and the development of skills and leadership.
But as hard as we work, we need the strong ongoing multi-faceted involvement of our membership. We need your presence. We need your encouragement. And—to be very frank—we need your financial support now and in the future.
Your Bequest Will Keep WRL Strong, Active, and Vital
You know that your support for WRL’s current work is essential. But beyond that, a bequest to WRL helps us plan for and increase the possibilities for our future work: organizing, educating, and resisting to end all forms of war and militarism, to increase social and economic justice, and to promote equality in every aspect of our lives.
Making a bequest is a special opportunity to show your long-term commitment to WRL's work and leave behind a meaningful legacy.
You can provide for WRL’s future in various ways, each described briefly below. We recommend that you consult with your attorney or tax advisor for the restrictions and many tax benefits that may apply to your specific situation.
Please contact Emma Burke, WRL’s Development & Membership Coordinator at emma [at] warresisters.org for additional information and a prompt response to questions that you or your advisor have. We thank you in advance for making WRL part of your legacy.
WRL accepts bequests of stock and securities, cash, mutual fund shares, retirement plan assets, life insurance benefits, IRAs, and 401K plans. For information about other forms of giving, such as living trusts or remainder trusts, please contact Emm
Language of Bequests
- A specific bequest of a stated dollar amount or specific securities:
- I bequeath to the War Resisters League, located at 168 Canal Street, Suite 600, New York, NY 10013, the sum of dollars (or describe the specific property or security you intend to give).
- A residual bequest that grants the residue, or portion of the residue, of your estate to the WRL after explicit bequests have been made:
- I bequeath to the War Resisters League, located at 168 Canal Street, Suite 600, New York, NY 10013, all (or %) of the rest, residue, and remainder of my estate, both real and personal property of whatever kind and wheresoever situated.
- A contingent bequest in case one or more of your bequests cannot be fulfilled:
- If any of the above-named beneficiaries should predecease me, I hereby give his/her/their share of my estate to the War Resisters League, located at 168 Canal Street, Suite 600, New York, NY 10013.
- If your estate will be subject to federal or state taxes, you can make a tax-deductible bequest to WRL through our fiscal sponsor, the A.J. Muste Memorial Institute:
- I give to the A.J. Muste Memorial Institute, located at 168 Canal Street, Suite 600, New York, NY 10013, for support of the War Resisters League, the sum of dollars (or describe the specific property or security you intend to give).
- Make a gift from your IRA:
- If you are at least 70-1/2 years old, you may be able to directly transfer tax-free distributions of up to $100,000 per year from your Individual Retirement Account (IRA) to qualified charitable organizations, such as WRL, without having to count the transfers as income for federal income tax purposes. Contact your IRA administrator or financial planner for details.
Please consider the best way to support WRL now and in the future. You may find, in fact, that a planned gift will allow you to increase the size of your gift while reducing the cost to you, generating income, or securing the future for yourself or others.
Kindly note WRL’s tax ID number is 13-5471808. All bequests should be made out to WRL Inc.
The War Resisters League affirms that all war is a crime against humanity. We are therefore determined not to support any kind of war, international or civil, and to strive nonviolently for the removal of all causes of war, including racism, sexism, and all forms of human exploitation.