WRL Development & Membership Coordinator: Job Posting
The War Resisters League seeks to hire a passionate and dedicated individual to create and implement a development and membership program to continue supporting nearly 100 years of challenging all wars.
About WRL: The War Resisters League (WRL) affirms that all war is a crime against humanity. We are determined not to support any kind of war, international or civil, and to strive nonviolently for the removal of all causes of war, including racism, sexism, and all forms of exploitation.
As a leading radical voice in the antiwar movement, WRL's revolutionary nonviolent strategy builds cross-movement analysis and international solidarity, supports conscientious objectors and GI resisters, challenges military recruitment, advocates for war tax resistance, against the use of teargas in prisons or against nonviolent demonstrators, and trains for and organizes nonviolent direct action.
WRL’s organizational culture highly values collaboration and consensus. We work closely not only as a staff collective, but also as part of a larger constellation of coalitions, organizations, and political projects committed to resisting war. WRL is multi-generational and seeks to be accountable to a plurality of bases directly impacted by militarism. We work to sustain a culture rooted in our principle of revolutionary nonviolence.
Position Summary: The Development & Membership Coordinator works as a team member within the nonhierarchical Staff Collective to support the daily work of the organization, including strategizing about programs, administrative work, office maintenance, email, and social media communications with membership. The Development & Membership Coordinator works closely with the Fundraising Committee.
Major Tasks: The primary work of the Development & Membership Coordinator is to facilitate an intensive focus on individual donor work. The grassroots fundraising model is based on the primacy of growing the member/donor base, fostering relationships with member/donors, and working to both maintain and increase their gift amounts. The Development and Membership Coordinator organizes the National Committee members, Fundraising Committee, staff, interns, and volunteers to do this work and participates in the work as well.
The Development and Membership Coordinator:
- Prepares email appeals, including working with designers and printers, and tailors each program email to a special list of email prospects.
- Works as a member of the Staff Collective to plan annual work, and helps direct relationships, projects, and the organizational development of War Resisters League.
- Organizes National Committee members to make solicitations to existing members, and works with the Fundraising Committee to implement a give/get model of fundraising with National Committee members.
- Coordinates Major Donor Program, Sustainer Program, fund appeals and ‘drop-mailings’, including yearly direct mail prospecting campaign.
- Organizes in-house phone bank and occasional paid phone banks.
- Expands existing and develops new web-based fundraising strategies around specific projects
- Updates and improves fundraising pages on websites.
- Will work with an event consultant and the Fundraising Committee to help organize the upcoming 100th anniversary event in 2023.
- Works with the Fundraising Committee convenor to plan committee meetings.
- Participates as a member of the Finance Committee.
- Oversees database management for the organization.
- Works with organizing staff to develop project-specific fundraising strategies. Helps implement either a yearly organization-wide fundraising drive and/or supports staff to integrate fundraising appeals into their work
- Helps develop and update printed fundraising materials.
- Maintains effective intra-organizational communication between the Fundraising Committee and other relevant bodies (Finance Committee, Administrative Coordinating Committee, and other staff).
- Reports to the National Committee on fundraising efforts quarterly; creates, monitors, and evaluates membership and development plans; and drafts annual budgets.
- Provides administrative office support.
- Adept at using CiviCRM or similar relationship management software
- Proven track-record of multi-generational relationship building and management
- Commitment to and fluency in WRL’s mission of revolutionary nonviolence as a resistance and social change strategy.
- Can self-manage and co-manage projects. Strong attention to detail, and detail oriented.
- Comfortable working within a small, non-hierarchical team.
- Able to communicate with multi-generational audiences
- Experience in fundraising or development for similar organizations.
Compensation and Benefits:
This is a full time position. The compensation is $55,000.00. We are also pleased to offer comprehensive benefits with this position.
WRL is actively committed to seeking the full representation and participation of all people, including people directly impacted by militarism, people of color, people who identify as Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Two-Spirit, Trans, Queer, and Gender Non-Conforming (LGBTSTQGNC), and people with disabilities, as well as people representing various ages, classes, and cultural backgrounds. Such diversity is sought throughout WRL's staff and decision-making bodies.
Please send a cover letter, resume, and three references to hiringcommittee [at] warresisters.org with “Development Hire" in the subject line. Materials should be PDFs or Word files, with filenames formatted as 'Name_resume', 'Name_coverletter' by email. We will accept applications on a rolling basis until June 11. We will not accept phone calls regarding the position.
Due to COVID-19, this is currently a hybrid position. There will be some tasks, like processing mailings and depositing checks, that will require traveling to Manhattan and other parts of New York City. All CDC COVID protocols are strictly observed and practiced.
The War Resisters League affirms that all war is a crime against humanity. We therefore are determined not to support any kind of war, international or civil, and to strive nonviolently for the removal of the causes of war, including racism, sexism and all forms of human exploitation.