Want to work with one of the oldest and most dynamic antiwar and antimilitarist organizations? Want to build your existing skills and learn to connect organizing with grassroots fundraising? Want to hone your organizing and fundraising skills? Apply to WRL's 95th Anniversary Bilezikian Internship!
WRL works on an array of antimilitarist projects including counter-recruitment work for queer/trans youth and girls, challenging domestic militarization and police power through our No SWAT Zone campaign, and international solidarity work with War Resisters International, all in a collective, supportive structure!
War Resisters League is looking for an energetic, passionate intern to join our team, grow their grassroots organizing and fundraising skills, and be part of a national organization committed to revolutionary nonviolence.
- Support staff and 95th Anniversary Committee with overall planning for anniversary activities, with anniversary events kicking off in October 2018
- Support communications around WRL’s 95th including drafting written components of WRL’s history and current work
- Coordinate planning and production for WRL’s 95th Anniversary Program Journal
- Create outreach plan to organizations, and individuals to promote WRL’s 95th anniversary
- Solicit donations for journal ads and event sponsorships
- Recruit volunteers to carry-out outreach plan including emailing, calling, and meeting in-person when necessary to secure commitments for journal ads
- Maintain correspondence with donors and oversee receipt of all journal ads in proper file format
- Track all incoming data in WRL’s CiviCRM database
- Work with designer to assist format and layout in preparation for journal printing
- Work with Communications & Development Associate to maintain acknowledgement and thank you correspondence with participating donors
- Assist with setting up back-end website development in preparation for event ticket sales, sponsorships, and anniversary promotion
- Support event-related needs day-of and leading up to 95th Anniversary Celebration
- Support administrative follow-up tasks and participate in post-event evaluation
- Attend WRL 95th Anniversary Planning Committee meetings
- Submit weekly intern reports including successes, challenges, and future recommendations
- Applicants should have some experience or education in grassroots fundraising strategy, development, or event planning
- Some experience working with CRM databases or willingness to learn
- Knowledge of current social movement landscape is a plus though special knowledge of social movement history not required
- Excellent writing and interpersonal communication skills
- Not required to be students
- Able to work 20 hours a week in War Resisters League National Office in New York City for 13 weeks
Compensation & Support:
This is a paid internship. WRL will work with those who can receive college credit. WRL office is located on the sixth floor of a building with an elevator. The War Resisters League is actively committed to seeking full representation and participation of all people, including people of color, women, people who identify as Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Two-Spirit, Trans, Gender Non-Conforming, and Queer, and people with disabilities (though the office is several blocks away from all closest subways), as well as people representing various ages, classes, and cultural backgrounds. Such diversity is sought throughout WRL's staff and decision-making bodies.
The War Resisters League affirms that all war is a crime against humanity. We therefore are determined not to support any kind of war, international or civil, and to strive nonviolently for the removal of the causes of war, including racism, sexism, and all forms of human exploitation.
How to Apply:
Please submit a cover letter, resume, and any applicable work samples. Applications without cover letter will not be considered. Please send files as attachments - not in the body of email - as Word files.
Kindly send applications to Emma Burke, Development & Membership Coordinator at emma [at] warresisters.org
Deadline to Apply: July 20, 2018